During last nights’s New Moon meditation, I began to wonder how to work with my new Goddess friend now that I had connected with her, and she kindly offered some suggestions. They seem useful no matter which Goddess you work with, so I wanted to share them here. (For help connecting with your patron Goddess, or a temporary guide Goddess, please see my offering, here.)
- Write a letter to her introducing yourself and explaining what you hope to accomplish with her help. She can’t help or guide you if she doesn’t know what direction you would like to go. Write it in the same spirit with which you would explain to a teach er or therapist what you hoped to accomplish by working with them.
- Ask her what she would like to teach you. Perhaps there is something your Higher Self wants to learn and that part of you contacted this Goddess for that specific purpose.
- Ask her what she would like in return. This is not a one-way street. She will want something in return for her time and effort, whether it is simple friendship and an acknowledgement of her presence and influence, or something more material, like offerings, poetry, or some other physical action. Ask in meditation, and listen for the answers.
- Read about her history and culture. What pantheon is she associated with? Greek? Roman? Egyptian? Find out what her native people believed about her.
- Then, tune in to her in meditation and ask her if the stories are true. You may find that they are often exaggerated or skewed to fit the prevailing attitudes of the people she is associated with. Ask her what she wants you to know about her.
- Read and learn about any totem animals or other symbols she is associated with, and learn to watch for those signs.
- Ask her if there are other signs you can watch for to know that she is near or has her hand in the current situation.
- Find out if she is fond of certain crystals, or loves particular places (such as bodies of water, forests, or mountains) and incorporate those into your life, as much as possible.
- Figure out which chakra(s) she is associated with. That will tell you a lot about how to work with her, what lessons are in store, and how to proceed with learning them.
Approach your new friendship exactly as you would friendship with a human, physical person… go slowly, show respect, offer the benefit of the doubt, and make every effort to understand. These are the foundations of a healthy, vibrant relationship that will be beneficial to you both!